12 tips for eating healthy in restaurants
Dining out is one of life's great pleasures. By following a few simple steps, you can enjoy a meal that is as healthy as it is delicious!
- Start the meal with a salad (ask for your dressing on the side).
- Order a side dish of vegetables if the main course does not include any.
- Avoid cream-based soups and opt instead for minestrone.
- Ask which type of fat is used and choose dishes cooked with vegetable oil or non-hydrogenated margarine.
- Avoid foods that are marinated, smoked or served with soy sauce, as these are usually very high in sodium.
- Choose fish, poultry or red meats that are grilled, baked, steamed or poached. Avoid fried or battered foods.
- Remove the skin from poultry and any visible fat from red meat.
- Do not hesitate to ask for sauces to be served on the side.
- Substitute fries with a salad, vegetables, rice or a potato.
- Choose pasta prepared with meat sauce, pesto or chicken. Avoid Alfredo, cream or cheese sauces.
- Opt for low-fat milk or unsweetened fruit juices instead of soft drinks.
- Choose a light dessert: fresh fruit cup, frozen yogurt or ice milk, sorbet, biscotti.